The Tiny black 'White Throated Fan Tail' of Cooch Behar


This tiny black very busy wrabblers(don't know the original name) nested,in a china rose bush,in the little kitchen garden;situated at the back of my house.It was the third time within a span of  four and half months,they have nested in my kitchen garden.First time i noticed them in a branch of the cherry bush.Whenever i went to the garden to pluck cherries,this parents immediately got excited making sharp high pitched  'Tiap,Tiap,Tiap" quick calls, flying like missiles around my head.I become sure that they have nested here,and trying to drive me out from there to save their chicks or eggs.I began searching,with little effort i found their nest with three chicks. Didn't disturbed them anyway, but kept a close look on them.Found they were  small insect eaters.These three chicks flew on there own within twenty days, after they hatched.Again after twenty days or so,i found there new nest on branch just side of the previous one.There were three chicks,this time also.Become noisy and agitated and trying to frighten me with flapping of wings,unfolding tail feathers like a small beautiful fan instantly; when they found me there.This time there aggression last a little bit short.I become enthusiastic, to found there sign of acceptance of me.But with all their efforts ,failed this time.The chicks were fall in prey to wild cat or to any predator bird.

After little more than two weeks ,i found them nesting again in a china rose bush.It was only fifteen feet away from the cherry bush.When got them saw three chicks again,like previous two occassions.This time there opposition was was quite low.Amazingly one day when i was taking a sip of my morning tea,standing lazily in my backyard almost forty five feet away from that china rose bush.At this distance they never became agitated.Suddenly one after another they began flying like missiles towards me making distress calls as high as they could do. Circling around me then to the bush repeatedly like a conveyor belt.Seemed they were inviting me to the bush.Slowly and softly i went there.Saw the cause 'a cat sitting under the bush,looking greedily towards the nest'. There you are, my little friends, requesting help from me?Having seen me the cat immediately ran away.Saw the weak thin branch on which they nested, lowered alarmingly by the weight of the chicks and the nest.Almost to the striking distance of the cat.I tied that branch with a upper one,by woolen thread,beyond the reach of a jumping cat. The two birds silently watched me from a upper branch of a jack fruit tree.this time they succeeded to raise there chicks again.
These birds are very small of around 4/5 cms long, small beak like sparrows,grey black in colour,having a half round white patch on throat and black small legs.Very busy in nature,fond eating small spiders and insects.There nest weaved so masterfully and bound tight with yarns of spider web.Produces a classical precision beak craft.
from
Nirupam Ghosh
Cooch Behar

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hindu Bengali ritual "SAADH' or baby shower,a wish'.

Photos Of Princess Uttara of Cooch Behar & Maharani of Kota

Marriage of Princess Menaka of Cooch Behar